Through Hole PCB Assembly
Turnkey service | Semi-turnkey service | Consignment service | Manual + Automation
While surface mount technology (SMT) has gained significant popularity in electronic assembly, it is important not to overlook the significance of through-hole PCB assembly. Despite approximately 70% of components being mounted on the PCB surface through SMT, DIP components still require THT technology.
Through-hole assembly, also known as Thru-Hole or THT, is a well-established PCBA process that involves inserting component pins into pre-drilled holes on the circuit board and soldering them to establish a secure and reliable connection. This technique finds widespread use in various industries, particularly where robust mechanical strength and stability are essential.
If you are in need of Through Hole PCB Assembly Services, your search ends here! FS Technology takes pride in delivering exceptional through hole assembly solutions that surpass industry standards. We understand the role of automated assembly in achieving economies of scale and employ both manual insertion and automatic insertion techniques to meet our customers’ requirements, from prototyping to mass production projects.
Why FS Tech Through Hole Assembly Services
Automated Mass Production
The decline of outdated technology can be attributed to the challenges in achieving automated production, while manual assembly often suffers from high failure rates and slow processing speeds. This highlights the crucial importance of partnering with FS Technology. Here’s why:
- Turnkey Solutions: Our company offers end-to-end services, encompassing through hole PCB and through hole PCBA. This seamless integration ensures a streamlined and efficient production process.
- Automation Equipment: Equipped with advanced automation equipment such as AOI, X-RAY, automatic plug-in machines, wave soldering machines, solder spraying machines, and lead-free solder pots.
- Multiple Production Lines: With a total of 7 production lines, comprising both manual and automatic lines, we possess the capacity to handle diverse project requirements. Our minimum monthly output stands at an impressive 25,000 pieces, enabling us to deliver prompt results without compromising on quality.
FS Technology has established itself as a leading turnkey service provider in China, specializing in PCBA processing. With a wealth of industry knowledge, we have successfully served numerous projects within the welding machine, energy, and power control industries. One common characteristic of these projects is the significant proportion of Thru-Hole processing.
- 20 Years Experience: Our highly trained workforce meticulously oversees productivity and quality control, guaranteeing exceptional results.
- Stringent QC Standards: Maintain rigorous control over the pass-through rate by implementing robust quality control measures. This includes conducting IPQC and QA LOT sampling inspections.
- Professional Processing: We prioritize component cleanliness, ensuring optimal solder closure, precise component insertion as directed, and meticulous height and spacing control.
Best Through-Hole PCBA Solution
We understand that each user has unique requirements for PCBA processing, and to ensure optimal results, our engineers will directly engage with you to discuss assembly technology in-depth. Recognizing the critical role of plug-in processes in PCB assembly, we prioritize the quality of our DIP components, as they significantly influence the overall PCBA processing quality.
- Order evaluation: Upon receiving your order, engineering department will conduct a thorough review and evaluation of your project. This includes carefully examining the BOM files, design files, and assembly requirements. Through this process, we aim to coordinate all the specific details of your project, such as delivery time.
- Purchasing: For turnkey projects, FS Technology takes responsibility for component procurement. In consignment projects, we conduct rigorous incoming material inspections. This involves carefully checking and recording the quantity of received parts, item numbers, sizes, component silk screen numbers, and values, among other important information.
- Engineering preparation: Our team meticulously prepares for your project by conducting equipment debugging based on the established process parameters. We also create comprehensive process guidance documents to ensure consistency and efficiency during assembly.
- Component outline: Some components require advance preparation of their outline drawings due to specific manufacturing methods or the need to meet the requirements of the entire PCB layout.
- Automatic insertion: Our advanced equipment handles the insertion of conventional standardized components into the through holes of the PCB. This automated process ensures precision and efficiency for components such as resistors, capacitors, and diodes.
- Manual insertion: For non-standardized, specialized, or oversized components, our skilled technicians perform manual insertion. They carefully insert the component pins into the through holes, ensuring proper insertion force, component orientation, position, and height.
- Wave soldering: Once the insertion process is completed, the PCBA boards are transferred to our wave soldering machine. Here, the boards are passed through a wave of molten solder, which creates strong and reliable solder joints. Flux is applied to facilitate solder flow and improve soldering quality.
- Hand soldering: In cases of PCBA Prototyping or for rework/repair tasks, our operators utilize hand soldering techniques. This process involves using soldering irons and other tools to manually solder components to the PCB, ensuring precision and attention to detail.
- Quality inspection: Once the through-hole assembly process is completed, our stringent quality inspection procedures come into play. Various PCB inspection methods, including AOI, X-Ray, and manual visual inspection, are employed to ensure the integrity of soldering and overall quality of the PCBA.
- Board cleaning: After confirming the soldering quality, thorough circuit board cleaning is conducted. This crucial step eliminates any residual chemical substances from the assembly process, preventing potential corrosion or functional damage on the PCBA surface.
- Functional testing: With the entire PCB assembly process, starting from SMT to THT, the fully assembled PCBA boards are ready for functional testing. This rigorous testing ensures that the assembled boards perform flawlessly, adhering to the predetermined specifications and procedures.
- Packaging and shipping: In the event of any failures identified during inspection or testing, the affected boards are promptly returned for rework. Once the quality standards are met, the PCBA boards are carefully packaged in electrostatic bags to protect them during transit. They are then promptly shipped to our clients, ensuring timely delivery.
Through Hole PCB Assembly Service Usage Strategies
There are many issues to consider before starting the PCBA project, here are some solutions in the throughhole project to help you carry out the project better!
SMT or THT
- Reliability and Durability: Through-hole soldered connections provide exceptional mechanical strength, making them highly resistant to vibrations, shocks, and environmental stresses.
- Repair and Modification: In case of faulty components or the need for future modifications, through hole PCB board allow for easy replacement or rework. The accessible nature of the components simplifies troubleshooting and enhances the overall maintenance process.
- Enhanced Thermal Performance: DIP components often have larger surface areas, allowing for better heat dissipation. This feature is particularly beneficial for applications that involve components generating substantial heat, ensuring optimal performance and preventing overheating issues.
- High Current and Power Applications: Through-hole assembly facilitates the mounting of components capable of handling higher currents and power requirements. This advantage makes it ideal for power electronics, automotive applications, and other scenarios that demand robust electrical connections.
- Scale: SMT assembly offers faster and more efficient assembly processes, contributing to economies of scale. While through-hole PCB assembly can be automated to some extent, manual insertion is still required for larger or non-standardized components, which can impact scalability.
- Miniaturization: The trend towards miniaturization in the electronics industry favors SMT assembly. By utilizing surface-mount components and integrated circuits, manufacturers can achieve compact and space-saving designs, meeting the evolving needs of users.
- Electrical Performance: SMT soldering forms shorter solder joints, reducing resistance and inductance. This improvement in electrical performance enhances the quality and stability of signal transmission in electronic circuits.
- High-Frequency Performance: SMD components are often used in conjunction with high-frequency applications. Their smaller size allows for a more compact circuit layout, meeting the demands for high-frequency performance while maintaining overall efficiency in the SMT assembly process.
Manual or Automated
Automated Through Hole Assembly
Automated assembly is a computer-controlled process that utilizes advanced machines to position and solder components onto a circuit board. At FS Technology, we employ various methods, such as machine placement and soldering, to ensure accurate and efficient assembly. To maintain the equipment’s performance, we prioritize regular maintenance and upkeep.
- Cost-effective solution: By replacing manual labor with automated machines, we eliminate labor costs and significantly reduce overall assembly expenses.
- Rapid turnaround time: Machines operate round-the-clock, enabling us to efficiently handle large-scale PCBA orders and achieve fast turnaround times.
- Consistency and quality control: With program-controlled machines, can ensure high consistency among batches of PCBA boards, minimizing variations.
- Capability for complex projects: With the increasing prevalence of HDI PCB in diverse projects, manual labor becomes impractical. Automated assembly machines excel at precisely positioning components, making them ideal for the assembly of intricate and compact circuitry.
Manual Through Hole Assembly
Although complex circuits make manual through-hole assembly difficult, manual labor has its advantages in specific scenarios, which is why FS PCBA has automated equipment while still retaining manual production lines.
- Prototyping project: When a newly developed project is put into the production line, it will be prototyped to ensure the design and functional integrity of the PCBA board. However, the number of prototype PCB assembly orders is very small and the requirements for turnover speed are extremely high, and the automatic production design programming and other processes will delay the progress of the project. For this reason, manual THT assembly is usually used in prototype manufacturing.
- Customization: Manual assembly enables us to accommodate special components and provides the freedom to adjust the positioning of various parts according to your specific requirements. This level of adaptability ensures that your PCBA solution is tailored to your unique needs.
- Mitigating Environmental Factors: Power outages and other unexpected environmental factors can disrupt automated assembly processes and potentially lead to product failures. By incorporating manual assembly alongside automated processes, we mitigate these risks, ensuring a consistent and reliable production flow regardless of external circumstances.
How to Choose a Reliable Through Hole PCB Assembly Manufacturer
If you are interested in exploring other manufacturers for through hole assembly services, it is highly recommended to choose a manufacturer that goes above and beyond in delivering efficient and reliable services. Look for a company that pays meticulous attention to every detail of your project, ensuring the highest quality standards.
- Skilled Team: Review the project service cases and delve into the background of the company’s technicians to ensure they possess the necessary expertise and knowledge to handle complex projects with precision.
- State-of-the-Art Equipment: It is crucial to understand the level of investment manufacturers have made in equipment and technology. Long-term cooperation in PCBA projects necessitates an advantage in future collaborations and development.
- Service Quality: Apart from implementing strict quality control measures during the manufacturing and assembly process, impeccable service is a factor that enhances the overall experience. This begins with the manufacturer’s ability to meet your project timeline and exceed expectations by delivering promptly. Additionally, examine performance standards to ensure that each assembled PCB meets rigorous industry criteria and functions flawlessly in its intended application. Value-added services such as 24-hour, one-to-one support and design upgrades can further enhance your experience.
- Price Advantage: Seek cost-effective solutions without compromising quality, and ensure the pricing structure is transparent to provide exceptional value for your investment. Choosing a Chinese through-hole PCB assembly manufacturer can often result in lower costs while maintaining quality.
- Customized Solutions: Recognize that each customer may require an independent plan, such as start-up companies opting for turnkey solutions and larger companies preferring consignment. Look for manufacturers that offer customized through-hole assembly solutions to meet your specific requirements.
THT PCB Assembly FAQ
Both through hole PCB manufacturing and through hole PCB assembly. This meticulous process begins with precision drilling, creating holes in the circuit board to accommodate component pins. Then insert these pins into the respective holes and employ soldering techniques to establish secure and reliable connections, culminating in the production of high-quality PCBA boards.
DIP (Dual In-line Package) and THT (Through-Hole Technology) are both important terms in the field of electronic component packaging and PCB assembly.
DIP, also known as Dual In-line Package or DIL Package, refers to a specific type of electronic component packaging that features two parallel rows of pins or leads extending from the bottom of the package. DIP package is widely used in electronic assemblies due to their compact size and ease of insertion into PCBs.
THT, on the other hand, stands for Through-Hole Technology. It refers to the manufacturing process that involves drilling holes on a PCB and inserting component leads or pins through these holes. The components are then soldered on the opposite side of the PCB to establish electrical connections.
While DIP is commonly associated with the type of component package used in PCB assembly, THT is the manufacturing process that involves the insertion and soldering of components through holes.
SMT is a widely adopted electronic assembly technology that utilizes SMD components and automated placement machines for the assembly process. This technology offers several advantages, including enhanced processing efficiency and reduced form factor of electronic applications.
On the other hand, THT is more challenging to automate and involves the use of larger components. THT offers the advantage of providing a stronger and more robust connection due to the through-hole soldering technique. It is particularly suitable for components that require additional mechanical support or for applications where durability and reliability are critical.