Flexible Rigid PCB - combining rigidity and flexibility features, breaking the boundaries of traditional PCBs.
Based on consumer needs and expectations, more complex circuit structures have become the main factor that dominates the performance of electronic products, which paves the way for the development of rigid-flex PCB boards. Rigid-flexible PCB, also known as RFPCB, is a kind of laminated flexible circuit substrate and rigid circuit substrate so it has the advantages of both types of circuit boards. Rigid flex electronic PCB straddle the boundaries of traditional rigid PCBs and the unique properties of flex circuits using highly ductile electrodeposited or rolled-annealed copper conductors photolithographically on flexible insulating films. Most of the time this type of board is used to replace rigid PCB in applications where it is not suitable.
The merit of FS technology rigid-flex PCB fabrication
There are many manufacturers working who focus on rigid-flex PCB fabrication and they have rich experience in rigid-flex circuits, even so, we still recommend you choose FS Technology. FS Technology is a comprehensive PCB and PCBA service provider. We have served the circuit board manufacturing and assembly industry for more than ten years and have won high praise from thousands of domestic and foreign. Choosing us as your rigid flex PCB supplier will bring more convenience to your electronic projects. You don’t need to reserve various technical or engineering personnel, you only need a strong sales team to realize the operation of the company, because FS Technology can start from the rigid flex PCB design and complete the manufacturing and assembly process step by step. Looking back at the development history of FS Technology, we are adhering to the goal of long-term cooperation and building more trust with customers. In the past work, our professional level and dedication have been recognized all over the world in the field of microelectronics.
- MOQ=1: FS Technology does not impose any restrictions on the minimum order quantity, which means that you can get more affordable rigid flex PCB prototypes from here, fast turnaround small batch orders and large batch orders of 10000+.
- Endless Possibilities: The robustness and folding space allow a high degree of freedom in the design of your electronics projects.
- Lightweight Electronics: A wide selection of flexible materials sets you apart from the miniaturization trend.
- Long life: Breaking through the life limit of electronic products, even if it is subjected to 200,000+ bending wear, it will not reduce the product experience.
- Fewer restrictions: FS Technology uses higher-end materials to make flex-rigid PCB able to withstand extreme environments such as humidity, high temperature, and corrosion.
- Turnkey service: One-stop service has always been the main project of FS Technology. Choosing us will be an important measure for you to save project time. You don’t need to look for PCB component procurement services, PCB assembly services, IC programming services, etc. here.
Rigid flex PCB board sample display
Rigid-flex PCB manufacturing level
|Flex layer number||2-4||4-6||6-8|
|Copper thickness on flex layer(OZ)||0.5||1||2|
|PTH Via on Flex Layer||YES||YES||YES|
|Min Width of Flex Area(mm)||≥10||≥5||≥2|
|Panel Size (mm)||254×400||254×500||457 ×609|
|Min space between via to R-F combined area||≥3.0mm||≥2.0mm||≥1.0mm|
|Min space between DIP to R-F combined area||≥3.0mm||≥2.5mm||≥2.0mm|
|Normal Structure Rigid-Flex PCB||YES||YES||YES|
We offer a variety of advanced rigid flex PCB material options that allow us to have greater compatibility.
- Conventional FR4 PCB material
- Halogen Free Fr4
- Lead Free Compatible FR-4
- Ceramic Filling High Frequency Material
- PTFE High Frequency Material
- Special PP
- High-speed digital materials
- Rigid PI Material
- Metal Base Board
- RF and mmWave-compatible material
- DuPont, Panasonic, Shengyi, ThinFlex, and others
Surface Treatment Services
In order to protect the exposed copper surface of the rigid-flex board, it needs to be surface treated to avoid adverse effects such as: low-quality metal-to-metal joints, additional manufacturing costs, failures during application, etc.
- Hot Air Solder Leveling (HASL)
- Immersion Tin (Immersion Tin) (ImSn)
- Electroless Nickel Immersion Gold (ENIG)
- Organic Solderability Preservatives (OSP)
- Immersion Silver (ImAg)
- Electroless Nickel / Electroless Palladium Immersion Gold (ENEPIG)
- Hard Gold (Electrolytic Hard Gold)
Rigid Flex PCB Application Scenarios
After the manufacturing and PCB assembly process is completed, these rigid-flex PCBs can be used in different fields. Among the many applications, small devices rely the most on them and enhance the usefulness of these boards. With the current technical capabilities of FS Technology, the circuit boards we produce and assemble have received many praises in the following industries:
Medical Wearable Electronics
The quality of the interface of the wearable electronic device may be seriously affected due to multiple folding during use. Even if this phenomenon occurs in smart electronic products such as mobile phones and watches, it is difficult for us to accept it, let alone electronic medical supplies that require high reliability.
All of these medical devices are inseparable from the use of multilayer rigid-flex PCBs. Through unique advantages, these medical PCBs improve the reliability and operability of devices, while miniaturization enables implantable devices. The wearable medical devices inform the medical staff to get the details of their patients. Through this process, doctors can monitor the patient’s heartbeat in real-time.
There are many extreme problems in industrial manufacturing, and rigid-flex PCBs are the experts in this area. The circuits and devices used for power transmissions are created through use of heavy equipment, so their movement from one place is another is not easy and increases damage changes of them since it is heavyweight. Since these modules require both heavy lifting capacity and flexible and precise control, ordering a turnkey rigid-flex PCB assembly service is the only option.
More serious is the use of high temperature equipment in the industry, such as electric furnaces, melting furnaces, heaters, etc. Although these equipments are almost essential, they are a nightmare for PCB manufacturers. Faced with this extreme environment, your options become very limited, such as rigid IMS PCB, or rigid-flex board, which can better solve the problem of heat dissipation and high temperature.
Use in Online Business
Online business is a branch of 5G communications. With the rapid development of high-frequency 5G PCBA and the repeated outbreaks of the new crown epidemic, the demand for online business has grown exponentially. Online businesses in this environment need to incorporate a variety of technologies, such as tracking reporting and scanning for shipping. To perform these functions, there is a small size device called PDA is used to complete the process. It also helps to use in difficult conditions where other not easy to use, all these happen due to rigid flexible PCB use.
So far, FS Technology’s ability in the manufacture of rigid-flexible circuits has been fully demonstrated. Although we focus on PCB assembly projects, we are also confident enough to complete your electronic projects for rigid flex PCB boards. By understanding our capabilities, if you think we are a rigid-flex PCB manufacturer in China that meets your expectations, please email us, and our sales will contact you immediately with a rigid flex PCB quotation.
Rigid Flex PCB Buying Guide
Existence is reasonable. Based on different considerations, all manufacturers have a chance to be selected, even if their prices are higher. For you, with a clear goal, choosing a rigid flex circuit board manufacturer that better suits your needs will play a decisive role in the progress of your electronic project. Most of the time, we will consider the manufacturer’s PCB manufacturing capabilities, turnaround time, service fees, etc. Here, FS Technology provides an idea for PCB selection, that is, whether it is really necessary to use a more expensive rigid-flex PCB.
Whether rigid flex PCB design service is required
There are two categories of customers for electronic assembly projects. One category is customers who have clear requirements and have drawn PCB circuit diagrams, they usually send documents directly and inform the required quantity to get a quick rigid-flex PCB quotation. Another type of customer just has a concept or idea and seeks the help of a turnkey PCB assembly company.
Design is the first step in the entire rigid-flex PCB turnkey assembly service, and customers need to judge whether they need to design or modify the service. For electronics companies with design engineers, it is obviously not a wise choice to choose a turnkey assembly company for design services. In past cases, FS Technology is more of a helper to help customers complete rigid-flexible projects. Of course, our designer team can also help customers complete design projects independently.
Here we provide simple rigid flex PCB design guidelines for your reference.
An additional quantity of material is added called a loop. That increases the operating life and the assembly of circuitry makes it easy. Use thinner copper materials to get a flexible nature.
There is etching done on the board to avoid isotropic losses after the routing of conductors is done to enhance stackup and beddings capabilities of the rigid flex PCB board.
- Base Of Board
The base areas of the board are selected then size and weight is decreased. For that purpose reduce the small size holes to about twenty-five mu.
There is the filtering of pads done to make the circuit flexible it can be done by increasing the areas of pads. Button plating is used for making effective solder joints.
- Adhesive coated
The adhesive baked coat is used to overcoat the board used to make the board dynamic natures.
Is it necessary to purchase a rigid-flex PCB?
The rigid-flex PCB board is a hybrid board made through a mixture of flexible and rigid PCB boards. For the creation of these boards, there is the use of one or more than one rigid board combined with flexible boards. These boards are considered the replacement for rigid PCB. These boards have features of flexible and rigid boards in one unit. Many rigid-flexible PCBs come in a structure that has a multilayer of flexible substrates combined with a rigid substrate. Flexible parts of boards designed in curvature structure according to requirements of projects. Although this kind of rigid-flexible circuit board has many advantages, its price has discouraged many electronic manufacturers. Is it necessary to choose a rigid-flexible PCB among many types of PCBs?
Reasons to Get a Rigid Flex PCB Quote
- More Cost-Effective: Although rigid-flex boards are more expensive than rigid or flexible PCBs, they are used in assembly projects to reduce the overall cost of the project because they are a hybrid form of rigid-flex with the characteristics of both types of board.
- Wider Application Areas: Using a rigid-flex PCB can reduce the use of flex cables and connectors, resulting in a reduction in weight. Therefore, it has the high strength characteristics of rigid PCB and the lightweight characteristics of flexible PCB, which can make it used in different applications.
- More Flexibility: The combination of rigid and flex structures makes the strong design. The flexible part of boards helps to make design modifications according to the required area and rigid parts give strength to the design. The rigid PCBs are dynamic in nature so can be designed in different types of structures and angles also design can be repeated for other projects.
- More Convenient Operation: The rigid-flex boards are created by mixing flexible substances to rigid through the substrate of flexible placed in the internal side of rigid boards. The electrical operation of this board is better than other boards. The mechanical and electric connectors are linked at the inner of the board that helping users make reliable boards.
Flexible PCB VS Rigid Flexible PCBs
Flexible PCB has vibration bearing capacity this feature helps to use for vehicles where high vibration is involved. Employed for hard disks. These boards are considered as the solution for wirings used in boards and enhance the repetition in the boards.
You can get the features of rigid PCB and flexible PCB in flex-rigid board. These boards combine the advantages of two different types of PCBs. Their structure helps designers to make three-dimensional design configurations easily. The construction time for these board applications in any project is reduced and makes required products in good design. These boards help to make three dimension designs in fewer prices and solid repetition.
In the following applications, rigid-flex PCBs are superior to flex boards.
- High Reliable Devices: Since rigid flex PCB can bear the high value of shocks existing on the device were used so it preferred for high reliable applications;
- High-Density components: It is used for high-density applications since has features to get fold into small sizes and offers the fewer space applications;
- Replacement of Rigid Boards: For applications where you need more than five rigid boards can use a rigid-flex board that will be a good and cost-effective solution.
That is all about the Rigid-Flex PCB all details have been covered about the rigid-flex PCB. It is better than other boards and comes with features of rigid board and flex board in one place. It is mostly used in industries machines and mobile phones and used in three-dimensional structures and designs. In computers and mobile phones mothers’ boards are created through the use of this board all components of circuits are assembled on the board in an accurate and simple way to make fine circuits. Due to the advantage of one structure having two materials make it effective and less expensive than other broad that is technically expensive. From FS technology you can get the Rigid Flex printed circuit boards with numbers of layer 2-10L and dimensions of (36/10) 610 mm×1650 mm at reasonable prices. The value of board thickness can be 0.1 mm–10.00 mm. FS Technologies is the right choice to create higher quality and functional boards for you, they will be better than others. In addition to the basic advantages, the flexible materials used in FS Technology Rigid-Flex PCBA are highly resistant to harmful chemicals as well as UV rays and oils.