In the world of electronics, PCBA boards are not just for decoration or support, but critical components used to bring functions to life. While aging and shock resistance tests are used to detect the firmness and reliability of the board, they do not necessarily test the function of the circuit board. PCBA Functional testing is crucial to ensure that the board runs according to the predetermined program. Let FSテクノロジー introduce you to this vital testing method.
What is PCBA Functional Testing
The term “PCB functionality” refers to the need to ensure that the PCB functions precisely and meets the required standards. Functional testing plays a role in identifying any manufacturing defects, design flaws, or defective components, and is essential to check the electrical characteristics of the components on the PCB. By pinpointing any shortcomings, it can help improve product quality and provide feedback for future improvements.
- Improved Quality: Ensures that the PCBA meets the required functions and performs accurately.
- Cost Reduction: By detecting faulty components and assembly errors during testing, the likelihood of product recalls is reduced, which avoids costly repairs and replacements, ultimately saving money for manufacturers.
- Compliance: Proves the product is safe and reliable, reduces the risk of manufacturer liability, and ensures that the equipment complies with regulations and standards.
- Limited Coverage: Functional testing is often created to evaluate specific PCBA features or functions, which cannot cover all imaginable use cases or scenarios. Thus, there is a possibility that some bugs and defects may not be detected during testing.
- Time-Consuming: The entire testing process can be time-consuming, especially when verifying multiple features or functions.
- High Cost: Testing can be expensive and borne by the client, especially if professionals or equipment are required. Therefore, small businesses or financially constrained groups may face challenges in conducting comprehensive testing.
- Limited Diagnostic Information: While functional testing can uncover most common PCB problems, it may not provide accurate diagnostic details about the root cause of the problem. Hence, it can be difficult to troubleshoot any issues that arise during testing.
Types of PCB Functional Tests
- Static Functional Testing (SFT): Using a defined test program and tools to verify the correctness of all components and connections on the PCBA board, ensuring that it functions as intended.
- Dynamic Functional Testing (DFT): Introducing different signals into the PCBA board to verify its functionality, simulating actual usage conditions.
- Boundary Scan Testing: This is a newer testing method that uses the testing techniques defined by the IEEE 1149.1 standard to scan and identify all pins of internal components of a device, verify connection integrity and detect any opens or shorts.
- Environmental Testing: Checks how well a device will perform under a variety of environmental conditions, such as temperature, humidity, and vibration.
- Programmable Test: Allows users to write their own test programs and tools, so as to conduct custom tests on the PCBA board. This allows for optimization according to different product requirements.
Correct Operation of Functional Tests
- Develop a Plan: Before initiating testing, it is necessary to create a comprehensive project plan that outlines the tests to be performed and the anticipated outcomes.
- Test Setup: Connect the PCBA board to the testing equipment and configure the software program used for testing.
- Test Execution: The test instrument generates an electrical signal to the board and measures the response to determine if the component is functioning correctly.
- Result Analysis: Analyze the parameter information provided by the equipment to identify any possible errors and determine the cause of any failures.
- Generate a Report: Create a report that summarizes the testing process, results, and any issues observed during testing.
- Specification: The client must provide a detailed list of test requirements and objectives, including expected results.
- Equipment: Digital multimeters, oscilloscopes, logic analyzers, and other necessary equipment should be available.
- Procedures: Test software can automate and manage test equipment configuration.
- Environment: The PCBA should be tested under simulated working conditions that are consistent and controlled, and any necessary support equipment should be provided.
- Personnel: Operators must undergo professional training to improve their ability to analyze test results and resolve any issues.
- Fixtures: Special test fixtures should be made for connecting the PCB to the test equipment according to project requirements.
- ドキュメンテーションを行います： The entire testing process, including plans, logs, results, and issues that arise, must be documented.
- Compliance: The testing process must comply with applicable standards and regulations, such as IPC-A-610 or other industry-specific standards.
Comparison Between Different Tests
|Design rule checking
|PCB設計ルール encompass various parameters such as distance, width, layer spacing, solder paste, vias, and more. Design rule checking (DRC) is a process that verifies these rules to ensure ease of manufacturing and assembly.
|Design & Layout
|Ensure that errors are found during the initial stages of the project and not after production
|Cannot guarantee the accuracy of the manufacturing and assembly process
|Added to the production process of the project to detect all components on the PCBA
|Identify all faulty components on the board
|Does not assure proper operation of the PCBA as a whole.
|The continuous running test of electronic components, electronic products or systems to evaluate their reliability and stability in long-term use.
|Can detect potential failures in harsh circumstances
|Does not ensure the PCB will operate properly under standard operating conditions.
|Checking the real equipment to make sure it works properly
|Comprehensive test that examines the PCB’s overall functioning
|More time and resources are needed than with other types of tests.