PCB en aluminium
Aluminum PCB also called Alimunum clad, the Aluminum base consists of the conductive layer of dielectric material. It was the first time in 1970 after growing in the electronic industry.
Directory of Aluminum PCBs
What is Aluminum printed circuit board
It is a very commonly used category of metal core PCB that is used in different projects. First-time aluminum was used for the creation of hybrid ICs for amplifier circuits. These boards consist of metallic based over the copper clad lamination. Their structure enhances their insulation and thermal conductive features.
The structural configuration of aluminum PCB is like the other types of PCB boards. It comes with a silkscreen layer at the top where different numbers and symbols are drawn for circuit creation below that layers solder mask than at last over the substrate copper layers exist. The core of this board can be completely metallic substances that have a mixture of fiberglass and aluminum. Most of these boards are single layer. If your project requires 2 layer aluminum PCB, FS Technology can also do it for you, we do not recommend for multiple layers. The thermal conductivity of aluminum pcb is 1W/mK to 9W/mK. It is mostly used for light emitting diodes with power converter circuits. Aluminum PCB is good heat absorbance so when heat is produced from the lighting system save the parts of circuits. This board increases the durability of devices where it is used. After 10 years of operation, FS Technology has its own unique insights in aluminum Fabrication de PCB. The following is the specific content.
Structure of Aluminum PCB
Couche de cuivre
The copper layer is used to spread the signal over the complete board. When current passing in the circuits heat has generated that moves to the Aluminum substrate has a high value of dissipation factors and saves the components of the circuit from the heating effect
Below the copper layers, there is insulating material exists called a dielectric layer. This material is non-conductive in nature and is used to get the heat generated into the copper layers and transit to an aluminum substrate that dissipates the heat
The substrate is called the base layers below of insulation layers. It can be aluminum or copper as well. The functions depend on the features of the substrate. Aluminum substrate helps to use boards in circuits where thermal dissipation is needed. The use of aluminum substrate enhances the operation life of boards since it saves components from heat
What are the Different Types of Aluminum PCBs?
There are 3 main types of aluminum printed circuit boards that are used according to project requirements.
Hybrid Aluminum PCB
These boards are for applications where radio frequency is used such as in communication systems and telecom devices. It also has good thermal operation for standards PCBs
Aluminum Flex-Rigid PCB
These boards used dielectric materials that enhance the board’s flexible nature also good thermal conduction with electric features as well. When aluminum combines to thee dielectric substances the resultant boards have flexible structures can be modified into any design according to requirements. Since the Chinese aluminum flex-rigid board reduces the use of connectors, it will be cheaper to manufacture such boards.
Through Hole Aluminum PCB
Through-hole technology used for the creation of the boards aluminum is placed through using through hole modules then dielectric materials is placed in the hole to make the final assembly of the board
Properties of Aluminum PCB
- Aluminum core pcb material offer a good value of thermal dissipation so dissipate the heat fastly than the normal FR4 boards. The value of resistance of better than for the size of FR boards so its thermal dissipation property is good.
- Thermal expansion of the aluminum printed circuit boards is very good than others Due to good thermal expansion and contraction aluminum boars are used for SMT technology where components are assembled on the surface of boars
- These boards have stability for their structure. If they are provided temperatures of about one fifty their dimensions will change about three percent or less
- These boards are preferred for low-power-consuming SMT devices
- Their good insulation features and mechanical strength has replaced of ceramic
- Through decreasing the functioning temperature of products increases the operating life of devices
What are The Application Areas of Aluminum PCBs
Aluminum PCB is often used in industry, medical industry and military industry, FS Technology is here to introduce its common applications to you:
- There is different devices is created that is used in the medical field. Such as heartbeat sensor, ECG, EEG machine X-RAY
- Manufacturers replace traditional circuit boards with aluminum PCB, which make the heating effect worse and increase the life of LED lamps. The use of aluminum printed circuit boardss in LEDs is called aluminum LED PCBs
- This board is also used in industry to create different machines that need high power for operation. Such as battery charging, military instrument motor controllers, etc.
- These boards are used in the aviation and automobiles industry equally
- Used for the creation of circuits of power converters such as ac to dc and dc to ac converters
- It used in power transmission systems to transmit power for a larger distance
- Devices used for surgical purposes created with this board
- High-power scanners are inseparable from aluminum PCB board
Aluminum PCB Manufacturing Process
The copper materials used in the first step for copper creation etching that has thick/ The cooper used must have dimensions of about three ounces or less. The tracing width must be under consideration for the limited size of the products designed to make the fine board.
Masque de soudure
After the copper etching solder mask printing is applied on the surface of the board. There must be some precision made to perform the accurate solder mask applications copper size must be correct according to design other soldering mask printing becomes difficult.
Mechanical Structure Creation
There different processes drilling, molding, and V scoring is done. This process is done precisely that causes a reduction in the electric strength of the board. For this purpose, there must be good electrical drilling used.
Insulation material is applied on the aluminum base pcb that reduces the heat movement to the other components of the board.The substrate material is present at the end of the aluminum plate.
Aluminum PCB Comparison with other boards
Advantages and Disadvantages of Aluminum PCB
- Aluminum PCB is cheaper
- The aluminum can be recycled easily under non-hazard conditions.
- Aluminum has strong heat dissipation capacity so the heat produced using current flow can not affect the overall circuits
- The boards created with the aluminum substrate can work for longer time intervals.
- Less weight and good strength
- These boards can handle more stress
- Single layers aluminum boards can be easily made but two or multiple layers boards are difficult
- Aluminum is easily affected by halide ions such as chloride ions
FR4 vs Aluminum PCB
- Thermal management of aluminum is better than FR-4
- Aluminum is more expensive than PCB FR-4
- The heat performance of aluminum boards is better than the FR4
- Aluminum printed circuit board can e created up to three layers but FR-4 printed circuit board has more layers according to applications
- Aluminum PCBs are more focused on lighting devices like LEDs, while FR-4 PCBs are mostly used in electronic projects
Ceramic vs Aluminum PCB
- Products using ceramic PCBs are generally more expensive and larger, while aluminum core PCB are used for lower-priced circuits such as LEDs
- Ceramic PCB have good high temperature handling capabilities, as well as more popular coefficient of expansion values than other boards
- The structure of ceramic printed circuit board is similar to sandwich cake, ceramic layer, copper layer, ceramic layer. Aluminum PCBs use copper dielectric and aluminum substrates. The basic difference between these two types of PCBs is the absence of dielectric layers in ceramic PCBs
Copper vs Aluminum pcb
- Copper PCBs are more expensive than aluminum PCBs under the same circumstances
- Metal PCBs have good thermal and electrical conductivity, but copper is stronger than aluminum PCBs in this regard and can pass more current, so it is often used in high-power applications
- While for larger layers of printed circuit boards copper is used but aluminum also preferred for its small size and fewer weight boards
- The resistance offered by the copper is less used for circuits where a less resistive nature is required than the aluminum PCB
- In the case of metal core boards, there is metallic core is used with copper layers. While Aluminum PCB has a solder mask that it does not lie in the metal core board
Details about the Aluminum printed circuit board has explained. It has an aluminum substrate with copper insulation and solder mask layers. It is used for less-weight applications and circuits where high thermal management is needed. Commonly used in the lighting industry so it is called LED PCB. It offers less weight, and good conductivity with good price features. It can be designed in a single double layer and can not be for multiple layers. These boards are also commonly used in medical aviation and space instruments uses.
FS Technology can not only provide you with professional knowledge, but also can manufacture aluminum PCB prototyping for you, or aluminum PCBs in large quantities. If you need more services, choosing FS Technology will be the right choice for you. Our assemblage de circuits imprimés clés en main service starts from the moment you place an order.